Friday, January 27, 2012

In Memory of the one and half million children who perished in the Holocaust

Reading what Balram Kapoor wrote on the Holocaust Internatinal day brought tears to my eyes and I thank you so much for posting for the International Holocaust Memorial day in memory of the one and a half million children who could not speak on their behalf. The strong words at the end of this eulogy bring me the chills and I wish to relate. My mother Sonia Frenkel Welis had a number on her hand. When I was a young girl I did not really know the meaning of this horrible number, I asked her and at the time she did not speak about the Holocaust as she did not want to traumatize my sister Elaine or my brother Sid. She had tears in her eyes when she told me they branded her like an animal, cut her hair and pushed her into a shower.She was a young adelescent at the time and never forgot how humiliated she felt and how lonely she was. Then she looked at me with her wise and beautiful blue eyes and told me not to worry and that she would always take care of me. Now, let anyone try to tell me it did not happen that my mom Sonia Welis Frenkel was not a Holocaust survivor, then who am I? I am who I am and NO one can take that away for me. Mommy I miss you so much, may you rest in peace and know that your legacy lives on forever in my heart and in the heart of so many educators and children on our planet. I pray you are proud of me.

Marsha Goren - I am the daughter of a Holocaust survivor

No comments: